Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Your Heroes

Who is/are your personal heroes? What characteristics does this person possess?

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lot of people believe that she is just a person who got married several times and only acts to show off her talent. But Elizabeth Rosemund Taylor is a woman of undeniable courage. She has been through many, many obstacles in her life, all of which, she has conquered. This woman is not only a film legend and silver screen goddess, but a deeply caring, charismatic person who should be viewed as an icon. She possess great talent. Not many people (especially those my age) would consider her a hero, but I definently do. She has contributed to help and awarness-raising of hemophilia and other deadly sicknesses. She is a wonderful person whom I think is underestimated and needs to be thought of in a better way.
She has definently made the world a different place catching our hearts in performances in legendary movies such as Giant (1955), alongside James Dean, Father of the Bride(1959), alongside Spencer Tracy and Joan Bennett, and Cleopatra(1963), alongside Rex Harrison and fifth husband Richard Burton. I think she is not only an amazing person, an excellent actress, but an idol. Elizabeth Taylor has left a legend that ceases to die.

Anonymous said...

My biggest hero is probably my older brother Richard. He is both one of the funniest people I know and one of the most trustworthy. Whenever I feel depressed being with him makes me feel better. He makes me laugh my butt off constantly, and his goofy smile lights up the room. I can talk to him about things I can't tell anyone else, and he helps in a way no one else does, either. He gets me, and what I'm going through.
He cheers me up, gives me advice, and tells me about his life when he was younger. Richard is an assertive person who will stand up for what's right and say what he thinks and never lets anyone walk all over him. He's strong, a great friend, and blast to be around. He's a great person in my life that I love and look up to immensely. I want to grow up to be strong like he is.

Anonymous said...

It’s definitely hard for me to narrow my heroes down to one person, but my mom would be my first choice. Both my parents are amazing but my mom is way more understanding and supportive. I always go to her when I need to talk to her about personal issues like boys or friends. She always has the greatest advice and no matter what I do wrong, forgives me. Of course, everyone has their faults, but her grace and laughter make up for worst of it. She’s a wife, a daughter, but most importantly a mom all in one. She’s patient and indulgent, yet strict and austere which makes her a great mother. I look up to my mother; I plan on following in her footsteps and becoming a nurse. She gets joy from helping people everyday and making their life a little easier. She isn’t known around the world and she isn’t a hero to children with cancer and but she’s without doubt a hero to me.

Anonymous said...

My hero. I've always thought my hero to be my aunt. She always was such an inspiration, I can look up to her, and I want to be more like her. Aunt Lisa, is such a good woman. What does it mean to be a good person anyhow, right? well, in this case, for me, is when you admire how they work with you, with others, how they can help others, with the help of God. Her faith is amazing, I want one day, to be able to share such a strong relationship with God, it is such a blessing to have known her.
Although, I know I can never be just like her, I know I can try to be the best person I know how to be. help without being asked can mean so much to just one person. My aunt, for me, is an inspiration, she does things from the bottom of her heart, she cares for people but on a level that is indescribable. Her love, and appreciation for others is such a beauty, looking at her almost makes me change. How she sees the world, not a crashing down place, with hate, anger, pride, disloyalty, she sees it as a world that God has control over. She has control over her actions, and it is very hard to control anger, or lust, or anything when things around you affect that mood. She truly is an inspiration to me. I want to talk to her, and let my heart pour. Although, the one thing is, she is a fragile woman, and when you deal with people who have had issues, for a long time it is hard to not break her. She is someone who takes care of, but sometimes, letting her take care of you can break her, and it isn't something I would ever dare. I would be scared to express some of my thoughts sometimes..

Anonymous said...

well, as Eric has said, your brother is your hero?
My sister was, I can totally relate to how you said, you can talk to him about anything, be with him and it seems all kinda stupid to work yourself after what's happened earlier? Or if you have trouble with a girl, ( boy for me) well he gives you advice on that, or on other issues? I really do admire that, my sister and I used to be like that. Before she left for college we got really close, talked more about sensitive issues, she trusted me on things she wouldn't say to mom or dad, or my other sister, who is also older than me( middle child). She and I would talk, be more than sisters, we were best friends, she had gone through soo much in her life, and i was going through it over and over, and it was soo nice to have someone to talk to. Especially when I felt alone, and no one could really relate to what i was going through. She did though. Although, for several months she and I were close, she trusted me and all, and then at college, she and I we still real tight, and all, and I felt safe. Although I don't know, but this year has changed her, and she hasn't talked to me, she rather speaks to mom, and to her friends than talk to me. I think she's grown out of me, maybe I've become too immature for her, but it has hurt me. She is still my sister, and I will always love her, but this year has changed my family dramatically. So Eric, I would like to tell you how great it is for you to have your brother, it is a great feeling. Remember to keep in touch with him, because if there is too much to catch up on things, it is harder to express them when you see them again. I still do look up to her and I will always respect her. She's my sister, I love her, and I would protect her with my life.

Anonymous said...

There our many people that i call heroes in my life, such as my family, friends, teachers, and coaches. They have all influenced my life in one way or another whether it is a bad way or good it has helped me learn something in life. My biggest hero would most likely be my sister though, i have always looked up to her as a role model even was a little kid. We have always done the same sports and seeing her everyday at home and at practice made me want to be like her even more. Even though she is two years older than me i always imagined beating her out in one way or another. It was always a dream of mine to cheer with her on sherando varsity cheerleading my freshman year and i achieved that goal. I can say that being beside her on the sidelines and mat was an amazing experience and i can finally realize why she loves it so much. Although we don't always get along i know i can come to her for anything. We have gotten closer throughout the years and i don't think she'll ever realize how much it has meant to me. I love her so much and I will always look up to her.

Emily Folger said...

I have so many heroes in my life. Two of them are my youth pastor and his wife. They are so supportive of all the kids in our youth group and really care about us, but aren't afraid of hurting us, either. Not that they would on purpose, but they don't let that stop them. Like Lydia, I really admire their faith and strength in it. They really care about other people, too. My youth pastor is crazy and outgoing, and his wife is quiet and funny. They are so weird (but in a good way)! I haven't met too many other adults like them. They don't let life get them down, and are mostly lighthearted. They do have their bad qualities, traits, and times, though. They like to be crazy instead of serious, and it is so much fun to be around them. Their happiness and faith is what I admire most about them.

Anonymous said...

There are many people who have influenced me in my life and I do not think that I could pick just one. The two people who I have had the most positive influence from would be my mother and my seventh grade English teacher, Mrs. Emery. My mother is one of the strongest and bravest women I know. When my father died, I was only three and my brother four, my mother was left to raise us by herself. Even though she was hurting inside, she did not show it. She was always trying to be strong for us. I do not know how my mother managed to do that, but I definitely want to be as strong as her when I grow up.
Those of you who went to Aylor Middle School and had Mrs. Emery, you can agree on one the fact that she was a great teacher and a positive role model for us all. Anyone who knew Mrs. Emery could tell that she was not introverted. She was loud and loved to tell stories about her family or just about something that she did at WalMart the other day. Every class she taught was unique and I know that I looked forward to her class almost everyday. She really made English fun and I still use some of her "Fab Vocab". Mrs. Emery really encouraged and sparked my interest in wanting to become an English teacher when I grow up.

Emily Folger said...

Eric said he admires his brother Richard and can tell him anything. I have similar feelings toward my sister, although she is two years younger than me. Even though she is younger, I admire her for a lot of reasons. She is very selfless first of all, and never tries to be the center of attention or have it all. She slips aside if someone else wants to talk, and is a great listener. She is very humble and kind. She doesn't have many friends because she is not outgoing, but she treats the ones she does have very well. It's hard to get to know her because she is so quiet, so most people don't even try. I think that her quiet kindness is what makes her so special, though. So many people want to be friends with whoever is the most popular or outgoing, but if you try to befriend an outcast, you will usually get a much greater reward, if you truly need each other. She has her bad sides, too, but I think the good outweighs them.

Anonymous said...

My mom is my number one hero, without any hesitation. Although my parents are both extremely supportive of me, my mom is a lot more understanding. She’s the one person who has failed to let me down, and who’s always there for me, no matter what it may be. It’s safe to say that she’s one of the few people in my life who completely understands me. She’s there when I need advice, or simply just to make me laugh and turn my bad mood around. I admire my mom’s strength and the grace that she carries. She does so much for our family, her friends, and her students. Although my mom has many roles, I think that she’s best at being a mother. She’s the most selfless person I know. She is also patient and kind, and very easy to get along with. At the end of the day, she’s the one person I can count on being there.

Anonymous said...

I have had plenty of people in my life that have inspired me in numerous different ways, but my Grandmother has the most. My Grandma is a one of a kind person. My Grandma is my role model, along with being my number one hero. She has been through so much in her lifetime and has pulled through everything and has become a wonderful woman. My grandma Judy was raised in a church as a child and has kept God in her life ever since. She is a kind, thoughtful, respectful, and smart person. She works in an assisted living home(Westminster Canterbury) and has been for 20 years now. She loves being able to spend time with the elderly and helping them out as they live their lives. She goes around her town and makes visits to the elderly who can no longer go out and socialize, and spends time with them. She is an amazing person who, even though I'm afraid I won't be able to live up to, I want to be like when I grow up. Everyone loves her and enjoys her company. As soon as she walks into a room, it immediately lights up when everyone sees her beautiful smile. I want to be just like that. She is without a doubt my hero.

Anonymous said...

My personal heroes are people who aren't selfish and like to help others who are in need of assistance. My heroes are people like Donovan Mcnabb(Quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles) who make a lot of money, but are willing to help others who aren't as fortunate as they are. Heroes are people who others look up to and go to for answers, advice, and help. But most of my heros are sports heros like Michael Jordan, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Paul who all play basketball, but they don't just shine on the court. They also shine off the court, as well. These idividuals all try to do their best to try to help others like when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. During this tragedy, Chris Paul and Dwayne Wade both helped a lot of people who didn't have homes and people who lost their families. I want to try to be like these individuals, and I also wish that more people were like them too.

Anonymous said...

One of my heroes is Kathryn Heflin. I look up to her not only because she is a really good flutist (which I aspire to be), but also because she is nice to everyone, and willing to offer help when asked. She was also a huge help to us during the marching season, straightening out our lines and pointing us in the right direction.
Another reason I admire Kathryn is because she does not brag about her achievements, like her position as Second Drum Major, for example. She just did her job. If any of the band members needed help, she helped them, and that was it.

Anonymous said...

I have never really thought of who i would whant to call my hero. Really i dont think i know, i could easily say my dad, mom, grandad, grandma, or lots of other people along those lines. But like i said before i cant just say one person is my hero. But if i had to it would probbably br my grandad.
My gradad has over come alot in life, one big challenge would be moveing to America. that is one thing that makes him my hero. another trait that makes him my hero is that he is 60 some years old and still owns a farm and helped me and my dad build a barn over the summer ( he looked like a monkey hanging from the beams nailing others in). when i am that old i hope i can still be up and moving like he is, he is also a very hard working person. that is why i would limit my choice down to my grandad.

Anonymous said...

Of course i love my mom, dad, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. as Hannah and Lydia said, but i dont really look up to any of them as a "hero". i guess i dont really have one specific person i want to be like one day. i do, however, have plenty of influences on my life. For starters, theres my friends. i have lots of friends from different groups, and they all have different opinions and ideas. Also, my teachers. I love when a teacher talks to me as a person, not just some dumb animal thats trying to learn. Another big idol of mine is my big brother, Cody. Like Eric's brother, mine is also really funny. he is a junior this year at Virginia Tech, and whenever he visits, he always has the best stories. One other person that i look up to is someone who i've met before, but don't personally know. that person is Michael Graham. he is the santa at Tysons corner. i've sat on his lap countless times, and he still works there. He is a "carpenter" in the off season and even has home-made santa suits (Makes you think..). I think it's nice to have some magic in your life, and this santa is as close as you can get.

Anonymous said...

I would consider a lot of people to be heroes to me, but the one person that stands out the most would have to be my mom. She has been there through anything and everything. The divorce, when my grandma died, when my dad got remarried, she was there for it all. I know that whenever I need a shoulder to cry on , a hug, or even a giggle every now and then she'll be there, right by my side every step of the way. Even though we sometimes don't get along and we fight, I know that she will always love me with all of her heart.

Anonymous said...

Although I have made it clear that my mom is my true hero, I also agree with what Kelly had to say. Like Kelly, I have a lot people who influence my life. There are a number of people who I look up to, and who have made in impact on my life in some shape or form. My best friends are my number one influences. The four of them each complete a fourth of me, at times they know me better than myself. They are the ones by my side 24/7 which is why we seem to pick up each others’ words and phrases. After them comes my brother, who is six years older than me and attends James Madison University as a sophomore. Although we have always had this age difference, we’ve always seemed to get along for the most part. I have a lot of respect for how he’s always been the best role model. I admire the person he is, and all that he has achieved. It’s safe to say that my best friends and my brother have allowed me to be the person that I am.

Anonymous said...

A lot of people are heroes to me, especially my cousins and my mom. My cousin, Hannah, is one of the smartest and caring people I have ever met. Not to mention my best friend. She is very strong and has been through a lot in her life. She is much stronger than me because she has been through so much more in her life than I have. Also she is very organized and sometimes I could be that organized. My other cousin is Abby. She is very loud and fun. She is also one of my best friends. Sometimes I wish that I could be like her also. Another one of my heroes is my mom. She has also been through a lot. She always knows what to say and do in any kind of situation. Also she is very hard working and has made a good life for me and my family.

Tomy De said...

My personal hero is Harriet Tubman. She ran away from slavery in 1829, but went back to the South to get her family from Maryland. She made numerous trips to and from Maryland to help slaves escape to Canada. She was brave enough to fight against the wrongs of slavery. She was crafty and used different tactics to guide slaves to freedom. She would sometimes disguise herself with a bonnet holding chickens as if she was doing chores with slaves. When the Civil War broke out, she served as a nurse and advisor to generals. She even led an armed assault against the Confederates. She was praised for her bravery and patriotism. Her dedication to helping African-American slaves be respected and represented in society is inspiring. She is my hero because she did what was right even though it was against the law. I want to be able to commit my life to something that will better humanity like she did.

Anonymous said...

I have always had a hard time narrowing my hero down to one person because there are just so many people in my life that I appreciate alot. But, if I had to pick one person I would pick my older brother, Colin. He has always been there for me, and helped me out when I need it.
We have always had a really close bond, and he can always help me with school stuff because he has already taken all of the classes. Also I can say that Colin is probably the funniest I know. He can turn any bad situation upside down and make it good. Another reason that he is my hero is because he is involved in alot of extracirricular activities and he is still able to keep his grades up. He is the editor of the school newspaper, playing on the school soccer team, and is in National Honors Society. Colin will probably always be my hero even when we are both old and gray because I will remember all of the great things that he did for me, and how good he treated me.

Tomy De said...

Hannah Fost mentioned that heroes influence your live, but she said in a good way or a bad way. Why would we think of someone as a hero if that person influenced us in a bad way? Heroes are larger-than-life people that make a good impression on us.
I understand what Hannah Fost said about heroes. There are many people in the world that you can call heroes. She pointed out some of those people like family, friends, and teachers. As I said in my post, we think these people are heroes, not celebrities.
The way Hannah talked about her sister is close to the same way I think of my friends, but not the love part. My friends and I are close and do everything with me. When my friends and I go on camping trips and explore the campgrounds, we grow closer as friends. As she said, I know I can come to them for anything.

Anonymous said...

I also agree with Kelly. I do have many influences on my life as well. Like my friends and family. I have friends from many different cliques as well, and they all mean something to me in some way. Whether it be the fact that they are my best friend, friend, someone that make me laugh, or someone who makes me smile when i'm having a bad day. They all are special. And then there's my family, the people that are actually supposed to get and understand me. That's not always how it works out though, sometimes my friends are there for that too. But back to the fam, they mean the world to me and all of them are special as well. My mom's the funnty one, my grandma's the caring one, my aunt's the emotional rollercoaster, and my grandpa's the strong one. I can go to any of them at any time and I know that they'll always be there. So, as said before I do have a hero, which is my mom, but I do have many influences on my life as well.

Anonymous said...

I could call my mom or dad, sister or brother a hero, and they are; it’s just a bit hard to narrow down. My neighbors and friends are probably people I could call hero’s but I’d like to say that everyone I know has been a hero at some point to me. I guess I could even consider my pets as a hero as well, because they are always doing something to cheer me up –the dogs, not the hamsters because they bite-. It makes me feel good to walk up to the house and have the dogs hopping like rabbits at the fence because they are so happy to see me. I like coming home and having my grandma ask me how my day was even if she asks twice because she can’t remember if she did or not. Friends of mine are all awesome and I appreciate all of them and everyone in my life who has helped me out.

Anonymous said...

My personal hero would have to be someone that I could look up to and talk to about anything. I would have to say that my aunt is my hero. She may live far away and only come to Virginia once a year, but she has always been there for me. When she comes to visit she acts like she has been here for years, and I always appreciate that. My aunt is a good person too. She has two children, my cousins, Roman a baby not even a year old and Anthony a fifth grader. She has done an excellent job raising them and can be very strict some times, has a great heart and try’s her best to live every day to the fullest. When she is around there is more excitement in my boring life and without her coming to visit once a year, I don’t know what I would do.

Anonymous said...

A personal hero in my life is my sister. She always helps me with anything I ask her. She is nice mist of the time and keeps my life interesting. I really appreciate everything she does and that she would protect me from anyone that would ever try and hurt me. She is good at almost everything she ever tried and is really funny. She always makes me laugh when I am sad and helps me get through hard times in our family. We do a lot of stuff together and are really close. Without her my life would be so different and I would not be the same person at all. She really helped me learn what’s really important, and keeps me from doing things I shouldn’t. She is liked by a lot of people and helped me become the person I am today. She is one of my heroes.

Anonymous said...

One of my heroes would defiantly be my grandma. She is one of the most remarkable people I have ever met. She raised twelve children by herself without a husband. She even helped raise me and my sister. She is a great person and loves to do whatever she does to help everyone. She may be getting older, but she will do anything for anyone no matter how much it will hurt. She cares even about the mailman who she gives something to drink when he delivers mail to people. I really appreciate everything she has done for my family. She is not only my hero but surly the hero of many others. My grandma loves everyone and has strong morals that she has instilled in me and will stay with me forever. Whenever my parents can’t do something she does whatever she can to help. She may have been hurt in the past, but you could never tell by the great, caring person she is today.

Anonymous said...

Another hero that I have is definitely my mom. She is always there for me when I need her the most, and she's always compassionate towards me. She also goes to my games both football and basketball, and she always supports me. Whether I'm playing or not, she always cheers for me. I know I have a dad too, but I don't really see him so that's why I don't really know him. My mom also understands more stuff and she's one of the few people I can go talk to when I'm sad or mad. My mom also gives really good advice. So, when I need some advice I always go to her first. However, she is the only one I would go to for advice. Furthermore, it feels like my mom is the one who keeps me in line so I can have a good life in my future. When my grades start to slip, she lets me know and I usually get in trouble. She also tries to make me the best person I can be, and I'm so glad she's my mom.

Anonymous said...

One thing that people might not know about me is that im a Christian. I believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins so that i could live forever in heaven with Him. Im not trying to shove my beliefs in anyones face but the topic just so happens to be who my heroes are. well He's one of them. He's at the top of my list. Other than Him, i would have to say my mom and dad. They have done so much for me and they've helped me grow up to be the young lady that i am. i feel so blessed to have them for my parents. i know that they love me and that they would do anything for me. they're always there for me when i need help. i want to be just as good of a parent when i grow up. i want my kids to know that i (and whoever the lucky guy is)love them and that i would do anything for them just as my parents did for me.

Unknown said...

Though it may seem a bit odd to some people my hero's did not command countries, or lead a battle. My heroes are the great scientists in history; in particular Thomas Edison, Galileo, Steven Hawking, Isaac Newton, and Thomas Jefferson. I like these people because they were not only smart but they were inventive and had great ingenuity. Take Thomas Edison, most people know him as the creator of the incandescent light bulb. What most people don't know is that he invented the first form of audio recording: the phonograph. Steven Hawking is not only an inspiration but a great theorist. His Ideas about the universe and black holes, in the past ten years, have turned the world of physics upside down. Thomas Jefferson was a brilliant man. Along with his contributions to our democracy and the country he also was an accomplished architect and inventor. He invented one of the world's first copying machines. Along with that he invented something that many people use every day: the swivel chair.
My hero's have done great things for history that some people don't even think about. But they are heroes none the less.